Sunday, April 8, 2012

Things are brewing in Puyallup!

It appears that things are really brewing (sorry, I couldn't help myself) in the Puyallup area lately. In addition to the oh so loverly Power House Brewery, the area now hails as the home of both DUO Brewing and Puyallup River Brewing. My experience with the guys and brews behind each of these breweries has been a pleasure in many ways (and by pleasurable I am referring to free bottles of beer and not being scolded in 'class' for talking too much) and I am stoked to see both places making a go of it.

I initially met Puyallup River Brewing's Eric Akeson through my blog (he was a long time reader, first time stalker) and we have become good, beery friends ever since. I was privileged to sample some of his ales early on and am excited to see what progressions have come of the movement to a larger system. Puyallup River is doing bottles only to start and you can currently grab a few at Tacoma Boys, H&L Produce and 99 Bottles. Thank goodness for our new beer fridge (which  has essentially converted a typical, everyday garage into what we lovingly call Beertopia; a heavily guarded and padlocked Beertopia that is...), we are now free of space issues when it comes to buying beer. First brews on my list to snag will be the Paradise Blonde Saison (adorable blond chickie on the label has my salivating, even if the beer style isn't one of my faves) and the Fryingpan Cascadian Red Ale (for obvious reasons).

See? Adorable!
On a random whim of mutual inspiration, my superb minion Basil and I signed up for a Beginners Homebrewing class at the King County Library. Dan O'Leary (of DUO Brewing) helped teach the class, which was not only informative but made the endeavor of homebrewing seem both easy and approachable. Which explains why I still haven't gotten around to doing it yet... The first thing I noticed about Dan was that he was sporting one of those bottle opener rings. Plus he and his co-teacher were willing to take cheesy pics with me for my blog, so my first impression was obviously a favorable one. I've gotten to know Dan a bit through the interwebs and have had his beer at a couple of festivals now. DUO Brewing been a long time dream for both Dan and his wife Heather, who have dealt with a fair share of hardships getting started up. You can find DUO's beer in a few places around Tacoma such as at Engine House No. 9 and The Red Hot, but check out their website for what brews are currently on tap elsewhere. They have hopes to distribute some 22oz bottles on the farmers market scene this summer so keep your eyes peeled!
Dan and I at Belgianfest '12, enjoying some beer and randomness
You can read about more wonderfulness on both breweries if you check out the recent write ups by Sue Kidd (of TNT Diner fame), on both DUO Brewing and Puyallup River Brewing.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say about these local brews so feel free to drop me a line with your thoughts!

Cheers!
the pissed liBEERian

Me and my trusty sidekick, BASIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment