Thursday, August 4, 2011

International #IPADay is here, hooray!

International #IPADay has finally come so hop to it and throw something down the pipe that's both lovely & bitter. There's been a bottle of Dogfish Head Hellhound on My Ale IPA chillin' in my fridge for about 2mths now, waiting for today. It's a 22oz'er and I'm bound and determined to finish it all on my own.

In an attempt to unite the peeps in the craft beer community via social media, #IPADay was invented. Below you'll find some further info on this movement but first I'm gonna make a small list of my most favoritest IPAs ever, not including Black IPAs, CDAs, Dark IPAs, whatever the IPA you call it.
  • Ithaca Flower Power
  • Boulevard Single Wide IPA
  • #1403 (from Parkway Tavern's Pro-Am Homebrew Competition)
  • Airways Uber Hag
  • Dogfish Head 120min IPA (well... when paired with the World Wide Stout as a Heaven & Hell, pictured to the right)

I'm sure I'm missing a few or 10 but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head. There are some token IPAs that people fall all over themselves over like Russian River's Pliny the Elder or Green Flash West Coast IPA, but they just don't do it for me. I'll leave those to the professional IPA drinkers. Give me a Single Wide any day... to drink, not to live in.

Why Today is Today and How It Became What It Is

"International #IPADay is a grassroots movement to unite the voices of craft beer enthusiasts, bloggers, and brewers worldwide through social media. On Thursday August 4th, craft beer drinkers across the social sphere and across the globe will raise pints in a collective toast to one of craft beer’s most iconic styles: the India Pale Ale. This celebrated style represents the pinnacle of brewing innovation with its broad spectrum of diverse brands, subcategories, and regional flavor variations – making it the perfect style to galvanize craft beer’s social voice.

#IPADay is not the brainchild of a corporate marketing machine, nor is it meant to serve any particular beer brand. #IPADay is opportunity for breweries, bloggers, businesses and consumers to connect and share their love of craft beer. Getting involved is easy; the only requirements are an appreciation for great beer and the will to spread the word. Anyone can participate by enjoying IPA with friends, making some noise online with the #IPADay hashtag, and showing the world that craft beer is more than a trend!"


As New Zealand is 19hrs ahead of the 253, I got to vicariously enjoy the holiday (& the greatness that is the India Pale Ale) through MGD a whole day early. His celebratory ales included:  
8-Wire Hopwire, Epic Barrel-Aged Armageddon (best in show!), Epic Hop Zombia & Moa 5 Hop.

 Oh and check it: International Beer Day is tomorrow (Aug. 5th) so go forth, drink loveliness and party on through the rest of the week. You have my permission!

owner/creator/inventor of the epic IPA face,
the pissed liBEERian

No... this isn't my IPA face.


No comments:

Post a Comment