Sunday, September 11, 2011

An Airways Experience - Part the First

This guy is a two-parter so go ahead and get back up, head to the kitchen for a beer then get comfy. Airways Brewing Company, holla! They are doing so well (not exactly shocking) with the making of the beers, that they recently expanded their Tap Room in Kent and hosted a celebration (July 9th, Part I). Sadly, MGD was unable to attend this event so during his recent visit home, we were 'forced' to make a 'proper' visit to Airways as a part of our beer related rounds (September 1st, Part II). 

Will touch more on what ‘proper’ implies, later. 

Airways Tap Room Expansion Party (Part I)

As many of you know, I have multiple minions. Real MGD being #1 and other random peeps who attempt to fill the wingman gap when he’s not available. As my sibling was already locked into helping me move heavy boxes & build the ugliest dresser in existence that weekend, he was the natural (read: he had no say) choice to accompany me. Now taking your brother to a beer event is akin to taking your cousin to prom. It’s done out of necessity only and you pray that no one notices. But hey, you made it, right?! Hahaha, kidding. My brother's awesome.


The Tap Room was easy to find, tucked away in a Kent business park, just a short 30min drive from Tacoma. The weather was gorgeous that day and the celebration was in full swing by the time we arrived, inside and out. There was even a giant wooden man with an automated arm, drinking beer. Add that to the ‘something you don’t see every day’ list. After saying hello to some friends (and introducing my brother to the Washington Beer Blog peoples for the 3rd time, my memory is awesome like that), we grabbed a couple o' pints and pulled up a patch of grass in the sun near the make shift chicken coup. 

This is the chicken trying to attack me
Wait.
What? 
Yeah.
Effing chickens. 

This is the chickens trying to escape
I knew they would be present via a blurb that Airways put out on the Book of the Face but still, I have a long running (read: lifetime) issue with fowl. They were there to exhibit Airways’ full circle-ness, how their spent grain becomes farm feed, blah blah blah. Only after Alex Dittmar (founder & brewer) assured me that the chickens would not be roaming free in the area, but caged within an inch of their life, did I agree to attend. So naturally, I get outside and sit right next to the little jerks. Although they eyed me in what can only be described as an evil manner, it was easier to keep an attentive eye on their escape attempts from a close position. It would appear that I survived the experience to tell my tale.

Moving on… (for a moment anyways) the beer served at this event was both interesting and phenomenal. Airways Brewing Company had me at ‘One Token Please’ (Sky Hag IPA on Cask at TCBF 2010) and they have continued to win me over, this particular experience in mouthhole pleasure being a high point. Collectively, Tyball and I tried the following from their celebratory offerings:

Uber Hag IPA (Bourbon barrel aged Sky Hag IPA) - Have immensely enjoyed Sky Hag in the past but the Uber Hag takes the damn cake. I love this beer immensely. Those magical barrels transform that which is an already solid IPA, by adding flavors and complexities that even the non IPA obsessed will find delight in. 
Chocolate Cherry Stout
Tickel Your Zwickel (ohhhh, yes please!)
a Sour (yeah that's what I wrote, no name or anything, just 'sour'. go go gadget note taker. yummy as sin though, thanks guys!)
Berliner Weisse

The lovely people of Airways were a very busy group that day but Alex took a few moments from being the host with the most, to give us a short tour behind the scenes. A decent amount of space (one wall is taken up with the nose of Boeing 747 that I said looked like a giant boob) but due to supply and demand, Alex contract brews elsewhere to make big fatty batches of the stuff. I harassed Alex to start making temporary tattoos for the 7th time, discussed how the look of the Uber Hag (pretty sure she’s got a riding crop behind her back, just waiting for her perfect moment) is even scarier than the Sky Hag and tried to convince Alex to release his final barrel of Uber Hag at a time that MGD can try some. 

This is me trying to figure out how to use my camera before taking pictures of random people & looking like a creepster
In addition to having a loverly time, my bro-hole and I went home with the following…
  • Very happy mouths    
  • 1 Airways pint glass   
  • 1 Airways work-shirt (thanks Alex!!!)   
  • 1 ‘In case of emergency, beer will begin to flow’ shirt     
  • 1 Uber Hag poster (as I type, she is staring me down from across the room)    
  • 1 Airways bumper sticker (I actually just found it y’day, but I’m hoping it came from a festival at some point because it’s not on my receipt and I don’t like to steal stuff unintentionally)
  • A strike (there's bowling in the women's bathroom, sorry boys but you already have stuff to play with in your bathroom)

Stay tuned for Part Dos of the Airways Brewing ULTIMATE Experience...
the pissed liBEERian
 

Pictures by Me
Movie by Me's Sibling
Editing a negatory so there are probably a million grammatical errors
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment