Friday, September 16, 2011

More Airways Brewing Company - The Proper Visit (Part the Second)

In Part I of the Airways Experience blog, I mentioned going back for a 'proper visit' after the Tap Room expansion party. As you can see from my attempts to use a ‘real’ camera (read: not my phone and not a digi-cam) we end up with a picture of me, my purse, a bunny, and some chickens. Plus the wooden drinking man. That my brother took. That's what happens when I don't have Real MGD with me, pretty picture maker of extraordinary proportions. Here's what happens when I do have him:

A view as we approach the Airways Tap Room. As you can see, that's a lie. I'm already inside cheesing it up just in case I'm included in the scenery picture.
Many a lovely customer enjoying a Thursday pint
The loverly Dione Dittmar spent lots of time talking beer with us (yay!) while everyone else works hard in the background. Winna!
Jet City Lavender (with an extra dose of lavender outside) ESB. Gorgeous.
Although I had never seen the old tap room in person, the new place is just lovely. Inside you will find a wide open space with lots of windows and seating, where one can feel like part of a larger group even while at a cozy corner table for two. The bar top is absolutely gorgeous, people seem to drop by to chat up the Airways peeps or watch a game. Or drink beer. Or all of the above.

Every Thursday is Cask Night at Airways. We came specifically for the Jet City Lavender ESB on cask and stayed for a few more, soaking up the atmosphere & chatting with Dione (Alex Dittmar's wife, therefore must be blessed with the tolerance and patience of a saint, just as long as no one give's Alex any more plane parts as gifts).

When hearing of our alleged dropping by at the tap room, Alex (being the superb salesman that he is) expressed his sadness at not being around that day and relayed that he hoped the Lavender ESB didn't taste like shit. Happy to report that it was damn delicious. AKA: I hoped it wouldn't fucking suck and it didn't. Not even one little bit. After an hour long conversation about laundry (don't ask, I don't know either), our whistles needed additional wetting and we tried the following brews.

Jet City Lavender ESB on cask (I know I already said this 2 seconds ago. But this is like the separate, bold list that people who just skim my blog will see. Deal with it.)
Dampfbier
Sky Hag IPA
Dirty Hag - 75% Sky Hag & 25% Starliner Stout (I'll give you 5 guesses who ordered that beauty, but you're only going to need one. Holy effing yum!)
   
It was a long overdue visit(s) to Airways and I'm sad we didn't make the trip sooner. I'm looking forward to the day when they either move their collective awesomeness to Tacoma (officially not holding my breath) or expand their tap room hours (Thurs & Fri: 4-8pm, Sat: 1-5pm) so that I have more opportunities to stop by. Until then I'll probably have to love on them and their beer at festivals and continue to harass them on Facebook. Please keep the restraining orders to a dull roar, thanks guys.

Can't think of a witty closing line,
the pissed liBEERian

Alex & I at the Winter Beer Festival

Photography by The Real MGD





1 comment:

  1. I'll have you know that the motorized wooden Drinking Man is an iconic symbol (I think) of Airways Brewing Company and should be associated as such.

    The chickens...are important for those who are drawn to randomness and think to themselves, "A drinking event with chickens??? That's different...I think I should see this for myself."

    A bunny...heck why not? How often do you see a bunny while drinking a beer.

    Tracy's purse...ummm, pretty sure I didn't take that...but if I did, it was probably only to have visible proof followed up with the words, "See, look how much crap you have in your purse."

    At the same time...I have never attempted to take "picturesque" photos nor have any future ambitions of being a photographer. But...now that I know that you prefer marketing brochure like pictures of building entrances and groups of people I will re-aim my efforts if for any reason you decide to mistakenly ask me to be the photographer again.

    Sincerely,
    Tracy's Brother

    ReplyDelete