Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My heart doth beat for thee...

Please don't get me started on Valentines Day. Well... I did just write the two words that are largely feared (when put together in a sentence) by men around the nation so now I've kind of set myself up (and your lovely eyes) for a soapbox moment. Bullshit. Hallmark. Holiday. Obligations and expectations run high as we approach the 14th of February, with many a male ending up in the dog house for little to no reason, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I love how everything comes in red & pink and there are hearts as far as the eye can see. I'm almost 30 yet still buy boxed valentines (Hello Kitteh!) to be handed out to my coworkers and friends. Yet in my heart of hearts, I do not get the point of a holiday that is forced upon everyone, (and usually has little to no relevance within the personal relationship between two lovers) making them express their love and devotion in such a lemming like way. How special or romantic could that possibly be?

I've been blessed with relationships (current one included) where I'm spoiled rotten and treated like a queen all the time, and not just for the obligatory handful of holidays on the calendar. If I was spending my time and energy on a man who never did anything randomly sweet and thoughtful for me, I might put a lot more emphasis on Valentine's Day... true.
  • You never hold my hand when we walk... I'd like 1 dozen roses on 2/14 please.
  • You never open car doors for me... that will be a box o' chocolates big fella.
  • You've never looked into my eyes after a lovely evening out (thank you, 1022) and told me that my face was magic... I prefer emeralds over sapphires sweetie, kthnxbai.

How sincere can a gesture be when it is socially expected and therefore obligatory? My thoughts on V-Day don't change anything, the world will go right along celebrating their love in one massive heart bubble orgy. However, maybe it's time to take some pressure off the men folk to make things uber special for their lady? Females do not have the monopoly on being unappreciated, guys rarely get kudos for all the stuff they do.

So instead of eating your way through an overpriced dinner in a crowded restaurant full of other couples making googly eyes at each other this Valentines Day, go experience Tap Night Tacoma with your honey. Offer to drive your way around to the different locations and live up the good ales that are sure to be had.

 You may love boxes of chocolates, but you can be sure any dude will appreciate some Beercandy Caramels! Buy some fun ales to pair with these treats and make a private beer fest for two. I've never had one go wrong, PBF's are where it's at.


As women, we love it when a guy is all clean shaven and smelling delicious. Like when you can't keep your nose away from them or your mouth hole off of them? Yeah... like that. Members of the pork sword society like to be pampered just as much as we do, so why not go with an awesome old school shaving kit that includes some stout soap.

Celebrate your Valentine a few days early at the Pike Brewing Chocofest, happening on Thursday the 10th this year. Beer and chocolate pairing, followed by a fun romp around the 206... pretty sure everyone wins that game!

No more whinging about the lack of housework help! If you want to pull the old 'I wash, you dry?' line after dinner... give him accessories to ensure he'll always get excited about it! And yeah... I want those towels for myself.

These are just some fun ideas I stumbled upon for this Valentines Day, whether you celebrate it or not. Everyone needs to feel appreciated and special to the person in their life. I just hope you all make a point to do it on a regular basis, not when the rest of the world tells you to.

in my heart of hearts, i know you to be the best thing that's ever been mine...
the pissed liBEERian







No comments:

Post a Comment