Saturday, January 22, 2011

When snow bunnies sing birthday songs.

Act I. Scene 27. Zoom in on a king sized bed with 4-6 pillows (mostly on my side, which is in the middle) and ample blankets. Tissues, throat lozenges & chapstick litter the night stands as a loving couple discuss their possible evening plans while an episode of Farscape Season 4 (2nd best sci-fi series EVA!) plays in the background.

Me: Why does fun stuff still exist when I'm sick?
MGD: Because due to the alarming & surprising news that the world, in fact, does NOT revolve around you (he lies!) events still take place whether or not you are able to grace everybody with your presence.
Me: That's dumb.
MGD: *shrugs shoulders* Suck it up, cupcake. (uh... that's MY line) And if you are still going to insist that your hair doesn't need washing for days on end when you are sick because being bed ridden actually gives your 'locks' body and volume, then at least put on this hat before we go out. You'll look cute, like a snow bunny.
Me: What's with bunnies anyways? I think our pillows are bunnies in fluffy down filled costumes because every time I get into bed, they multiply. Are they mating at an alarming rate without me noticing? Is there a low cost spay/neuter place where we can take the pillows to? It's freaking me out.
MGD: I added 2 more pillows because you always steal mine or end up sleeping diagonally across the bed. They are multi-purpose items now, serving as replacement pillows when I have none or can be used to fashion a makeshift bed on the floor.
Me: Well aren't we just the little problem solver, MacGyver? *sighs* It's so involved being me. I'll have you know that the only reason I'm dragging myself out of bed and putting on pants (putting on pants ='s changing into clothes that aren't pj's) is because when I am sick, the blog suffers. And it's TPG3's 28th birthday. And Schooner Exact"s Anniversary. And 99 Bottles' Anniversary. But I want a waffle first.

End Scene. Cue outfit change into something themey but low maintenance for the evening (cute black Schooner Exact t-shirt that matches my hair-of-uber-volume-covering-snow-bunny-beanie), tell the toaster to l'eggo my Eggo so I can put it in my mouth, and head up north to The 206.

I am not sure where I found the energy to do anything last night but I think I have adopted one of those mentalities where if I'm well enough to go to work, I'm well enough to have some fun. However, next time couple communication is a must prior to any activities. MGD was under the impression I had Friday off and therefore didn't need to get me home all Cinderella like on a Thursday evening. Wrong, work starts @ 9a sharp. After my 3rd coughing fit around 11p, we called it a night.

Okay. Right. Bet you want to know the scoop on what we actually DID last night? As that is what my blog is about. Doing stuff. Involving ales. Got it. Here we go.

Both Schooner Exact Brewing Company and 99 Bottles were hosting their 4th Anniversary (of AWESOME!) parties 'til 8p. We got a late start on the evening (Eggos need quality toaster time) and had to make a hard decision since we couldn't fit both events in. We mutually agreed to put our time into Schooner Exact because they have a super-dee-duper special place in our heart of hearts. See:


Had a chance to sit around chatting up the Schooner Exact crew in it's entirety (Matt & Heather, Mike, Sarah, Hutch & Kathy), drink some great ales new and old (Midnight Union, Profanity Hill Porter, 3 Grid IPA and the new staff collaboration named HOBO Brew), and have a grand ole time in general. As awesomeness tends to attract awesomeness, we also ran into John the owner of Tacoma's Parkway Tavern and fellow beer blogger Mike Besser (check out his blog yo! BrewDad) at this little soiree.

We also had pie (National Pie Day is Jan. 23rd and I'm having another piece then). And bought baby Schooner Exact juice glasses. And Brew Dad gave me an autographed copy of his beer rating book he's putting out, plus some udder swag. Score! Thanks Mike, you rock. And, in case you are wondering it's totally legit (grammatically speaking) to start sentences with the word 'and'. Jen Lancaster (my favorite writer) says so.

A collaborative SE painting of the Hoppy Holidays logo. Can you tell which tile is mine?


Once I realized that putting Alka Seltzer (of the flavorless and fizzless variety) in beer wasn't really gonna work out too well, we decided to head west to Beveridge Place Pub. My roomie and great fwend, TPG3, was celebrating her birthday there. We had to do her a solid and make an appearance. Although I am now officially on the BPP band wagon, I wish someone had told me sooner the BPP is where all the cool kids hang out. We've run into a number of industry peeps there and love it so much we stop by every Sunday. Brew Dad had mentioned to me at Schooner Exact, that we had just missed seeing Kendall & wifey Kim (of Washington Beer Blog). Low and behold, they were at BPP.

I love walking into an extremely crowded pub to magically hear my name being chanted to the likes of 'Hey, it's the pissed liBEERian!!!' Feeds the ego nicely for sure. However, I'm pretty sure what really happened is as follows:

I walked around oblivious to my surroundings while trying to find a place to lay down in my sickened state. As I pass Kim, she graciously touches my arm and says hello and chats me up a bit. She's so nice. During the 12m ride to BPP, coughing fit numero uno almost did me in. I mistakenly (read: stupidly. as it was not a mistake) threw my last Ricola at MGD in a fit of annoyance, and I cannot even recall the reason why (as if THAT matters).

I regretted this course of action immediately for two reasons. In my ginormous purse that could carry small countries along with the entire Redskins defensive line, I could not for the life of me scrounge up another throat aid. Fucked. If I wasn't overly medicated (and therefore didn't have my wits about me. If you caught that as a Braveheart reference, high five.) I would have been in funny mode and yelled 'Riiiiiiiiicolaaaaaaaaaaaaa, bitch' when I threw it his way. I hate it when I miss opportunities to be an ass. Totally Fucked.

At Beveridge, we ended up just chillin' in general for a hot minute while having a few laughs during their North Sound Brewers night. We ordered a Tree Hugger pizza from Zeeks (black olives on the side, as usual, because some people *coughmgdcough* don't know a good thing when it's put into their mouth-hole. sigh.), snagged some Snipes Mountain Brewery beer mats & shared a few pints of North Sound. Big R Imperial Red was very yummy and seemed like a hoppy red to me (I've been really enjoying reds and sours lately now that I've conquered the self proclaimed battle of 'I'mgoingtodrinkIPAsuntilIlikethemordietrying' and feel that I can branch out a bit now.) but my palate is a bit effed at the moment so what I think doesn't count. MGD had the Hop Chops IPA on cask, muy delicioso!

Went home pretty early from BPP because MGD can interpret my face and it was saying 'done' since I stopped eating & only finished half a beer. Clear and obvious signs. Glad I have someone to take care of me when I'm too 'meh' to figure it out for myself, although I feel bad about not being in party mode for my buddy's special day. The air pop popcorn maker I left in the kitchen this morning for her pwesent should make up nicely for that though.

We listened to nice music on the way home. And he told me I could sleep during the long and arduous journey. And he rubbed my hemorrhaging head the whole way. And he's a total keeper. And even though I'm totally sick and gross, he gave me a sweet goodnight kiss when he dropped me off.

It was a good night and I'm glad I didn't overdo it too much, other than going out a bit late on a work night. 'Cause let's face it, Belgianfest is gonna be totally awesome and I want to be at full liBEERian power for the event come Saturday.


*cough*hug*drink*love*
the pissed liBEERian

All worn out after a long night with my borrowed (effing awesome! so you had better hope it's borrowed MGD...) RESCO watch & darn tasty attire.


  

Photo & Editing credits to MGD






No comments:

Post a Comment