Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Varsity Grill Ice, Ice Block Party

I don't always know what my plans will entail as the weekend approaches but last Friday I found myself at the Varsity Grill Ice Block Party. This shindig was held outside in the elements and therefore meant for only the most dedicated of January beer drinkers (it being a chilly January evening and all), as well as whomever came a stumblin' down Broadway and found the $15 entry fee to be a fair deal for all that VG was serving up.
Norm from Deschutes

                Contenders of the Evening

Deschutes Red Chair Pale Ale (Talked with Norm Cartwright for a hot minute about all kinds of Deschutes-y goodness including their money maker of a wishing well at the PDX 'branch'. Oh and BTW, Red Chair is DEELISHUS!)
Big Al's Winter Warmer
New Belgium 2' Below & Blue Paddle (New Belgium rock because a) they just do and b) they gave me New Belgium chap stick)
Doug from Sierra Nevada
Alaskan Winter
Dick's Winter Ale
Bridgeport Ebenezer Ale
Red Hook Winter Hook
Sierra Nevada Celebration (gleaned some great info from Doug Willson on SN forming a partnership with the Trappist-Cistercian Abbey of New Clairvaux to create the only authentic Trappist-style Abbey ales in America. Click here for more uber awesome info on that whole dealy but basically just get excited cause Monks be makin' your ale!)

Although this was a small event hosting just 8 breweries, I have to say that Varsity Grill nailed this one. Like... epically nailed it. Lemme tell you why, in the very articulate and concise way that I tell things:

The event area was separated into two spaces. One side had a buffet set up of make your own chili, nachos & baked potatoes along with tall tables to eat, drink & converse at. The other side was a U shaped section for the brewers and their beer. Things got a bit cramped on that side because beer tends to be more popular than food, but I thought they did the layout perfectly.

The area was covered by tents and heat lamps were sprinkled throughout. Being outside on a cold & damp evening after being sick all week IN addition to being a chick (I have a va-jay-jay therefore I am freezing all the time for no discernible reason), these amenities were MUCH appreciated.

There was an ice sculpture. Lit up with red lights. Just sayin'.And no, I didn't lick it. But I totally thought about it.

 
Cost of entry fee ='s great value. 10 beer tickets (one to try each brew) and as much (delicious) food as you want. Also a prize drawing (which I assisted in by using my awesome powers of name reading and MGD's key chain flashlight) where they gave away a ton of surprisingly awesome prizes including concert tickets, gift cards & growlers. And that was in addition to the crazy amount of schwag that the brewers brought.


Which brings me to my last and final point to point out... (don't worry, I never actually have a final point)

Big Al, Micah & I
Cyclops Big Al Beer Bubble
The ratio of schwag to the size of the event was ridiculous. As in good ridiculous. As in even I-the-girl-who-wins-something-at-every-event-I-attend was impressed. Each brewer brought loads of stickers, beer mats, temporary tattoos (thanks Big Al, you know how this girl likes it!), buttons, posters, chap stick (yes, I said fucking chap stick. cha!) & a whole host of other randomness. In addition to our memories of the evening, we walked away with 2 shirts & a Fat Tire Frisbee that was used in a rousing game of Jetta vs. Rental Truck Frisbee down Bridgeport. I still don't know who won, but I'll put a few beer tokens on the Jetta.

Despite a little memory card snafu at the beginning of the night (can't take blog related pictures to justify our media passes without one...) causing MGD to drive all 'round downtown T-Town trying to find one and therefore leaving me to my own devices for almost a whole hour (very scary); it was a grand old time. Which we followed up by attending the Peanut Butter Space Jam art show, hit up PSP for some Karaoke & a trip to the Crownbar for some yummy dinner because by about midnight, you haven't seen cranky until you've seen me hungry.


Nicely done Varsity Grill, looking forward to next year already.



Ice this baby,
the pissed liBEERian



Credits:
Photos & editing - MGD
Amazing amount of talent in blogging & attending events - ME!


No comments:

Post a Comment