Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Effing sourpuss is present & accounted for at the Parkway sour beer share.

The sourpuss being me, in case you were wondering. Although it might be hard to imagine a grumpy girl when looking at my pictures (a happy smile is always present), but it's utterly impossible for me to be in a cheery social mood if I'm upset. Bad news delivered earlier that day on the home front. Hopefully any surliness on my end came off to my loverly beer tasting companions as just a sourpuss reaction to the beers. I did in fact have a very nice time and am excited for the next installment of the Brew Tribune drinking league.

Everyone attending brought a sour beer to share and Parkway treated us to some special stuff straight outta da keg. Here's what went down, literally, and my 'special' notes on them.

1. Cascade Kriek - Bourbon barrel variety from the tap, a subtle tartness that went down smoothly.

2. Cascade Kriek - Higher carbonation than the previous Cascade, very tart with a light amber color. I had some of this again last evening and found it to be much more drinkable as it warms.

3. Oud Beersel Oude Kriek - Heavy bodied with a loverly raspberry colored pour and a nice oak taste with added cherryishness.

4. La Folie '09 Oak Aged - Drastically mellower in the luscious tart department than it's current year counterpart (which I am a ginormous fan of) and for some reason smelled like bacon. Yeah I don't know what's up with that either but I still drank the eff out of it.

5. Ommegang Zuur - Tasted a bit smoked and only slightly tart, not very impressive from the bottle. I had it on tap at Bottleworks back in November and found it to be phenomenal. Don't plan on buying another bottle but I'll surely grab a pint when I see it on tap.

6. Russian River Sanctification - Enjoyed the Sanctification better out of the bottle than on tap during Parkway's Russian River night. Light in body with a tart lemon taste and golden pour.

7. Cascade Vlad the Imp Aler - A perfectly balanced sour with all the tartness right up front & none of the face/cheek puckering at the end. Another fabulous Cascade Brewing selection!

After finishing the beers in our lineup we turned our dump bucket into a grog and everyone had a taste, whether they wanted to or not. I'm always a willing participant to put something new in my mouth hole and I'd rate the grog as my personal 3rd place for the evening. Cascade Kriek Bourbon Barrel (1), Vlad the Impaler (2), GROG (3).

There was some random talk of Parkway having a permanent tap devoted to sours but I'm not holding my breath. Mostly because there is too much good beer to drink for me to keep my mouth closed that long but it didn't sound overly likely. Unless you guys want to ditch the PBR perma tap... :) All beer serves a purpose, I suppose.

Will tap into my inner pep squad next time and bring my happeh face for Round 2 and further editions of the Brews Tribune,
the pissed liBEERian



 Photo & Editing credits to MGD

No comments:

Post a Comment