Sunday, September 26, 2010

a Red Hot love affair in the 253

This post has a been a long time coming. It's like a bad fight with a lover, always best to cool down before saying something you regret or have to explain later. My deal with the Red Hot... where to begin? I would compare it to the likes of an abusive relationship. They kept beating me down with bad service & misinformation and I keep coming back for more. Granted, I like it a little rough sometimes.  So I may have been setting myself up for this torture. Also, I got laser focused on a few things beer related so that when obstacles occurred... I may have been a little overboard with my reactions. Haha, yes I can admit it.

There was a time when I thought that the Red Hot and I would never make peace but after last night's event (Farewell to Summer Beer & Ice Cream social) I feel that we have come to a place of neutrality. A possible waving of the white flag, maybe even an exchanging of phone numbers...?

Started the evening out solo, ended up at E9 for a post work pint (or 2, it was Seamstress Union after all) and some grub. Went with a fish burger and tots. Gimme some freakin' totz!!!! I love those happy little potato fuckers. Enjoyed my time at the bar drinking away and writing some notes about things when I overheard some knuckle heads next to me dissing on Dogfish Head beer. I was eavesdropping profusely when I had to interject with an innocent "Are you talking about DFH? Well let me tell you a thing or two about a thing or two boys..." and went from there. I'm loyal if nothing else and was able to make some new friends that jumped onto the Schooner Exact SU bandwagon quicker than most. Pretty successful 90m of my time. Neither of them asked for my phone number so I'm assuming they were actually listening to my thoughts on craft beer, not just humoring me.



Hopped on down the street to Red Hot around 7:30p to score some seats for the Farewell to Summer Beer and Ice Cream social. As usual... packed. Which always seems like a lot of fucking work to me, I would prefer to set up some reserved (embroidered with my name) areas at all my fave pubs. Seeing as how tonight was a night for making quick friends, I sought out a half empty table and pulled my best Tracy moves to inspire some share-age.

How to score a table in a completely packed pub. Here's the breakdown...
1. Locate a large table occupied by an older couple. They tend to take in stray birds (singletons) and leave early on in the evening.
B. Possess any combination of the following: large breasts, winning smile, sweet & charming disposition, have a non-sociopath look about yourself and look a bit displaced. Large breasts will win over the hubby 1/2 of the equation and charm usually does the trick with the wifey.
3. Ask in a polite manner some version of the following: "Do y'all mind if I share this table with you, since you are only using half?"
4. How can they resist? In my experience, it's been fool proof at most places. Being old and it being a weekday, the couple left after about 10m of sharing. Win, seats for me & my fwends in a place that is practically standing room only!

After my table became 3/4 empty, a son and dad team (Curt & Brian, very cool guys) pulled their best moves to come share the space with me and my 1st libation choice of the evening, a glass of the Unibroue La Terrible. Their charms worked just fine, they were a laugh and a half and bought us free drinks without us knowing.

Not long after, TPG3 & MGD showed up and we had a grand old time as always do in the special way we always do. Would the threesome now be considered an ice cream sandwich? For this special occasion, I had to go with the Schooner Exact Gutter Punk'n ale & Jeff's Vanilla ice cream float. I'm not even sure how to describe all that is a beer float. Good but weird? Creamy but weird? Definitely not bad and I would be tempted to try one again with a really unique stout (Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout perhaps?).

The other ales of choice for the evening were the Boundary Bay ESB, Sum-a-dis Pilsner by Double Mountain and the Ommegang Rare Vos Tripel; which I found to be very tasty. I think my paper ice triangle ice cream hat really added something to the evening.

There are a couple things that defined this evening & have reinserted the Red Hot back into my book of good. Hence the reason for this post.

1. As I was sitting around and enjoying my uni-brow beer, I noticed the general atmosphere of the joint. Busy, lots of laughing and good times and it is truly a chill place. Not my personal style for a pub but definitely a place where it's comfortable to just stand around anywhere and hang out. There is a lot to be said for that.

2. After a mishap with the water retrieval issue, where I kind of felt like a dumb ass and blamed it on the employee for being all condescending about it... I went back to my table to bitch about her bitchiness and how she was the same way when I last black listed this joint. About 5m later she came over, beer float in hand and gave me $1 off the price. I had to get all self deprecating in my special way and ask her to please not cut me off, I really am too dumb to find water... I'm not drunk. She laughed and said "It happens all the time. Now you know and can make fun of the next person who can't figure it out." My issue with the staff was then resolved over discounted beer & a cheap laugh. Totally redeemed.

3. The Red Hot is a 253 gem & solid in the hearts of many who patronize it.  It will never be a regular on my list of must-drink-here places (as I can stomach nothing there food-wise, stupid body), but I can now finally see the good side of these guys. It's unique, it's hip & it's local. Good on ya Red Hot, nice work.


Militant attitude diminished while bringing the jazz hands and guns everywhere I travel,

the pissed liBEERian

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and RH made up. Don't you feel better now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel more open minded. I no longer loathe their existence and that is a good first step. They are now an 'option'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Libeerian, you had me at "loathe"...

    ReplyDelete