Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week in the Kneez

Been a light week, consumption wise. (perhaps normal for normal people, but light for this off-centered girl if you reference the last few 'weekly' posts)

Wednesday Sept. 1st, 2010
da Where and da Y: @ home. Drinking some Dogfish Head beers I haven't tried before. I was asked for some suggestions and realized I must consume more of their brand in order to give a proper one. 
da Ales: Dogfish Head Midas Touch & DFH Indian Brown Ale. Hold on to your nipples kids, I busted out my "Rate That Beer" pad for this duo. Was still paranoid about Tacoma Pipe & Tobacco dude snatching up all the DFH goodies at MSM deli so I went after work. Got these ales & 2 bottles of World Wide Stout for the low low price of $30. It's expensive to have good taste, alright! I need to start finding sponsorships.
da Assessment:

Started off with the Indian Brown Ale. As you can see on my Rate That Beer sheet, I didn't overly love it. Gave it a 3/5 but I think that has more to do w/ it not being a style I particularly care for. However the quality is there 100%. My notes on the Brown Ale tell me that I found it to be "very toasted tasting. stout/porter like minus the thickness". Drank this ale while cooking. 
In preparation for this tasting, I looked up the appropriate glassware and food pairings for both ales. Since every recommendation was meat based except one, I decided to go with the risotto to accompany my Midas Touch. I took it a vegetarian notch further, made some grilled eggplant toozle. Gonna list the beer sheet qualities 'cause they ended up pretty entertaining for this one:
Label - Goes with my Sofa
Color - Mine for Amber or Copper
Clarity - Sparkles in the Sun
Head - Not worth getting up for. (hahahahaha.... ha. didn't know such thing existed, wonder how Dick's Cream Stout would rate in that category?)
Aroma - Rich enough for fireside
Mouthfeel - Tingly effervescence
Flavor - Sweet like ye olde malt shoppe
Finish - Lingers longer
Notes & Impression - It's Grape!! haha (yes, I actually wrote that) Majorly mellows after it warms up. Less crisp tasting. Could drink only 1 @ a time but it's different & complex. Mouthfeel: goodness. 
'nuff said on both those. Typical Dogfish greatness.


 Saturday Sept. 4th, 2010
Where & w/ Whom: home, but of course chilling with TPG3 (mai roomie) & watching movies
Wut: Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat & Stone Ruination IPA while eating a homemade Mahi Mahi burger and sweet potato

So yeah...: Spent all day running around, ended up with some tasty treats from Trader Joe's and World Beers @ Tacoma Pipe & Tobacco. Started with the Cherry Wheat while cooking dinner. I like to cook with alcohol, sometimes I even add it to what I'm making. ;) Pretty traditional/normal wheat beer as it enters the mouth but !!SHAZAM!! when you swallow. Yes... that's what she said. It's like a maraschino cherry burst in my mouth tube. Very nice for a fruit beer, not overly fruity or syrupy. Smells great and the taste delivers like FedfreakingEx. Highly recommend to try it at least once, it's very different.  

Now for the Stone Ruination IPA. I'm drinking it right now as I type this. I could probably type up 10 more blog posts in the time it will take me to finish this and y'all know I'm a wordy bitch. I think TPG3 said it best when I shuddered and handed her the glass to try: "Uhhhhh. It raised my arm hair!!!" Or maybe I said it best when I took a drink, had to lay my head down on our coffee table and announce "Owie, it hurts my face." Yeah, you could put your weed in there, that's how skunky it is. Total classic IPA face making. 1/4 of a pint down... guess I'm going to be up awhile trying to knock it back. I will not let this beer be the ruination of me, but the 100+ IBUs make it a hefty challenge. Good thing I'm stubborn.

Sunday Sept. 5th
Locale: Bumbershoot beer garden with TPG3 & Blainal
Ale: Redhook Longhammer IPA & a swallow of Budweiser Lime
Okay all that I am going to say is that Budweiser Lime tastes like a port-a-potty smells. That beer is so white trash it should have a little wife beater beer koozie.

No comments:

Post a Comment