Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A place that does it Bigger and Better than most. Bring it on Big Al!


This brewery blog has been a long time coming. Considering I did a tour of the brewery many, many moons ago. Slacker status: check. In honor of the upcoming Winter Beer Fest, where they will be serving up the delicious Peanut Butter Stout I had on this tour... it's high time I get to serving up the props these guys more than deserve.


Let's hear it for Big Al Brewing. (Hu-effing-rah!) Any place that encourages me to live my dreams and drink theirs... a totally winner. And I must say, their beers are quite dreamy.


Exhibit A(l)
It all started at a magical little event called Tacoma Craft Beer Fest in early October. Since I can spot a temporary tattoo (or any other swag, for that matter) from about 100 paces, I zoned in on the Big Al table. Micah Sims & Carl Holzboog (Big Al peeps runnin' the table) were as nice as can be, they even offered to put the tattoo on for me. So sweet & helpful! See exhibit A(l). It's on the left chesticle while I'm sportin' some Parkway advert on the right. We took some fun pics, the PL got some free beer. That ='s a win. For everyone.

 While TCBF was my first experience with Big Al, MGD has been a long time lover (yes, I AM jealous) and therefore not a first time caller. He's a ginormous fan of Tutta Bella pizza, which coincidentally goes GREAT with Big Al's Tutta Bella Amber. Weird...

So the culmination of Tutta Bella & TCBF have now brought us to the general consensus that we needed to make a visit to see the folks at Big Al. We set up a time with Micah to come into their W. Seattle brewpub at 9832 14th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106. Upon arrival I immediately noticed that they had tasters available of their PB Stout - score! Sat down and had some Peanut Butter Stout before the tour started. (holy balls... you think peanut butter fills the cracks in the heart? Try the liquid ale variety!) We tasted/drank while Micah instructed us on the vagaries and headaches of incorporating an oil-based solid into a water-based liquid. Whatever dude, the results are worth it!



Me next to Little Al
I have never been on such a great beer tour! Thoroughly impressive. Micah took us through the place while giving us fun facts about the building's history and how Big Al acquired it. We had PLENTY of beer to see us through the tour (which I've listed below) and I learned a lot about their process and about how Big Al came to be. Micah Sims: Best Tour Giver EVA! Hopefully I have the details right on Little Al (pictured to the right) but it was their first brewing setup, later replaced by Big Al when they moved into the new building. I believe Little Al was originally used in a garage and still used to brew test batches or very limited releases.

During the tour we enjoyed: Harvest Ale (one of my all time fave beers), Brougham Bitter, Papa Charles Pale Ale, Smoked Porter (sorry guys, still just can't get into smoked ales. Still kinda tasted like I licked a fireplace, but up until that point, it was the most palatable smoked beer I've tried!), Abbey Wheat & some sour mash (which is something you add to beer to make it sour. MGD quote: "Straight up, it was hard to take." hee hee). Yuppers, that last one hurt my face; but in a good way.

Towards the end of the tour, (Big) Al Brown himself stopped by to say hello. Many people in the beer biz that I've met have described Al as one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Totally not a lie. So gracious and genuine, a great person to take Big Al Brewing in amazing directions. You rock dude!

Big Al was serving up the goods at the opening of The Barbershop in Belltown after our tour. We loved them so much (and weren't done or the day. Are we EVER done for the day?) we decided to hit up some dindin at a place called Assaggio before heading over to hang out more. Hanging out in my new Big Al work shirt in a fine dining restaurant, why not? :) Assaggio was even kind enough to put parchment paper over the table for... coloring?! I think yes. Good thing I brought my own fuchsia sharpie as they didn't provide any other artistic instruments. This is part of my personality dysfunctional where I understand there are rules and things we should and shouldn't do. With that being said... if I feel there is something I want to do, that supersedes such rules; I will. 'Cause I do what I want. :) Shocking, I know. At Assaggio MGD had a Dick's Danger Ale and I had a pricey glass of Dimitri Pinot Noir, which tasted nothing like Pinot Noir. Super sad face, since it's my fave.

The Barbershop was a fun time. More yummy Big Al brew to partake in, antique growlers, radios &  barber tools to drool over. Plus an authentic barber shop chair to chillax in. Good times!

Over the last few months, I have gotten to know the guys at Big Al a bit through various online endeavors & beer related events. It's been 100% my pleasure. Much can be said about the awesomeness and individuality of the people running the company but the product doesn't lie. Great people making great beer through quality and innovation. Please keep doing what you're doing in the special Big way you do it.

Check out some of the Rate Beer reviews on Big Al's beer done by MGD:
Big Al Sourlicious
5 Star Chili IPA
Belgian IPA

&

If you are attending Winter Beer Fest the weekend of December 10th & 11th, Big Al will be serving up the following ales. Most certainly with a smile:
Winter Warmer
Belgian Tripel
Peanut Butter Imperial Stout




You have found a special place in this liBEERian's heart of hearts.




the pissed liBEERian

Always a photo opportunity to be found. Forget keg stands, let's try some keg laying.




Photography & Editing by MGD. The real MGD.


No comments:

Post a Comment